Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Sidekick


Dish: Sweet potato fries
Cost: $5

Located on the corner of Nassau and John St. in the Financial District, Zaitzeff Burgers is a burger joint launched in 2003. It serves "fresh, grass fed, hormone- and antibiotic-free beef that comes from small cooperatives in Washington and Oregon," as stated on its web page.

Zaitzeff was featured in the New York Magazine as one of the top 100 places to eat in the city. To receive such an honorable recognition among the thousands of eateries in the city, the place has to stand out. It has to be one of a kind. It has to be unique, fresh and memorable. And Zaitzeff is all of that.

Upon entering the shop, I noticed the large chalkboard behind the counter serving as the menu. Burgers. Sandwiches. Salads. Fries. Beverages. That was all they sold. The burgers were the customers' favorite, obviously. It was the cream of the shop.

But I wasn't in the mood for burgers. (Now I wish I'd ordered a burger anyway, even though I wasn't hungry for one.) Instead, I was interested in the sides. The burgers already received so much recognition. It was time for someone to turn the spotlight on the sides.

I ordered the sweet potato fries. They came in a little paper box, warm from the fryer. I wished they came in a smaller portion though, because I couldn't finish all of that by myself. The fries tasted fresh and sweet; not too salty, but not sickeningly sweet either. When dipped into ketchup, the level of tastiness increased. So if you're thinking about trying Zaitzeff Burgers, don't forget to get the sweet potato fries. They are the burgers' best friend.

They're not the main attraction, but they're quite necessary because they complement the burgers. The sidekick. That's what they really are. 

Photographed and written by Carissa Gan.

No comments:

Post a Comment